Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by MitoQ. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
As an ICU nurse working during a pandemic, it’s been a priority for me to stay healthy and avoid getting sick. Not only am I extra diligent at work about hand hygiene and wearing the proper personal protective equipment, but outside of work I try to do my best to make choices that will help support and strengthen my immune system.
So what are some things that help strengthen our immune system?
1. Getting enough sleep every night (7-9 hours/night, limit phone and TV use before before, avoid caffeine in the afternoon, be consistent with sleep and wake times)
2. Exercising regularly- by doing something we enjoy (running, biking, strength training, hiking, walking, yoga, online workouts, etc).
3. Staying hydrated (keep a water bottle with you all day, flavor water with lemon, cucumbers, etc)
4. Eating more whole plant foods (fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, legumes)
5. Getting enough healthy fats in our diet (avocado, nuts, chia seeds, fatty fish, coconut, coconut oil).
6. Limiting added sugars in our diets.
7. Managing stress levels (by exercising, going to therapy getting outside for fresh air, meditating, limiting time spent on social media).
8. Supplementing with MitoQ, which supports mitochondrial and immune health.
Let’s chat a little bit about mitochondrial health and the immune system. Research has shown that there is a link between the mitochondria and our immunity and that the mitochondria are involved in many processes that support the immune system.
The immune system is made up of a number of different cells that protect the body from foreign invaders and illness. These cells get their power from the mitochondria. Therefore, keeping your mitochondria healthy is super important to keep your immune system functioning at its best.
So how does this relate to MitoQ?
MitoQ helps restore our mitochondria’s energy levels so they are powered up to support our immune system. This helps to keep us healthy and ready to fight off infection. Supplementing with MitoQ, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and eating a healthy diet are all ways we can strengthen our immune system.
Photos by: Jess Rochow