The weather is crisp, leaves are on the ground, and Halloween is behind us, which means one thing: the holiday season is here! While I love the holidays, every holiday season is sure to bring extra sugar, alcohol, baked goods, high amounts of stress, little sleep, travel, and more sugar. It’s no wonder the holiday season coincides with the cold and flu season! While I fully believe in the power of moderation and balance, indulging in “healthier” holiday recipes is one of the best ways to continue pursuing your health and fitness goals, even during the holiday season. To help keep you on track, enjoy this Healthy Holiday Recipe Round-up!
Health Tips for the Holiday Season
Without a doubt, the foods you enjoy during the holiday season will impact your health and fitness goals. However, there are also many diet and lifestyle hacks to help you find the balance between indulgence and optimal health, such as:
- Drink Water- Sip on water throughout the day to stay hydrated and support a healthy detoxification system. This will help your body excrete excess sugar and alcohol from the body.
- Prioritize Sleep- No matter your health and fitness goals, sleep is a non-negotiable. The holiday season is often packed with excess stress, travel, and socialization. Yet, it’s important to get at least 8 hours of sleep per night to keep your mind and body healthy.
- Eat Breakfast- Do no- I repeat- do not skip breakfast to save your calories for later. This will only encourage binge-eating later in the day due to imbalanced blood sugar levels. Always start the day with a balanced breakfast.
- Stay Active- When possible, stick to your scheduled workouts. While traveling, stay active as best you can: go for post-meal walks outside, enjoy a family bike ride, etc.
- Enjoy- This might seem contradictory, but hear me out. Stressing over the foods you’re eating or an interrupted workout schedule is counterproductive. The holiday season is short. So, enjoy yourself and don’t beat yourself up for it.
With a little intentionality, you can enjoy all the holiday season has to offer, while also keeping your health and fitness a priority.
Healthy Holiday Recipe Round-Up
This Healthy Holiday Recipe Round-Up includes a wide variety of breakfasts, sides, main dishes, and desserts. Most of these recipes are “healthier” alternatives to traditional holiday foods. They might be made with healthier ingredients, but they still offer all of the holiday flavors!
Breakfast & Brunch
These healthy holiday recipes are just a handful of my personal favorite holiday dishes. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Happy Holidays!