Let’s face it, we won’t be in our 20’s forever. Aging is inevitable. And with aging comes change, whether we’re ready for it or not. With each passing year, I believe we have the opportunity to become a little wiser. So, since entering my 30th decade, I’ve learned to make specific changes to my lifestyle to increase my overall wellness. As a result, I’m happier, stronger, and healthier than ever before.
How I’ve Upgraded my Wellness Routine in My 30’s
Once I turned 30, I started making some changes to my health and wellness routine. And, I’m all the better for it. Through years of trial-and-error, mistakes and successes, I’ve learned exactly what my mind and body need to thrive. Not to mention, everything just functions a little differently in my 30’s. You know what I mean? So, together, these habits have improved my quality of life overall:
- Skincare- My skincare routine has drastically changed over the last decade. Today, I prioritize SPF every single day. I highly recommend using a 30+ SPF on your face, daily. I’ve also added a retinol cream for anti-aging properties and skin protection.
- Gut Health– As Hippocrates once said, “All health starts in the gut.” Your gut has a strong influence on the rest of your body, which is why it deserves attention. I take probiotics every morning and also try to consume more gut-friendly foods, such as sauerkraut, kombucha, dandelion greens, yogurt, bananas, and more.
- Less Alcohol- If you’re in your 30’s, too, you’ve likely experienced the poor effects of alcohol that increase with each year. I can no longer tolerate alcohol like I used to. While I still enjoy a margarita or glass of rose’ here and there, alcohol no longer serves my body well. Actually, did it ever?
- More Time Alone- In my 30’s, I crave alone time. It’s not that I’m anti-social, but I simply need time to myself, too. Personally, I’ve started scheduling my “me time” each week because I’m a better person for it.
- No Birth Control- After taking birth control for over 10 years, I’ve decided to part ways and allow my hormones to regulate on their own. This has been a huge change, but I’ve experienced better energy, skin, and sleep as a result.
- Less Cardio, More Strength Training- There once was a time when running was my life. And while I still love running, I’ve come to learn the impressive benefits of strength training. Not only does it strengthen your muscles, but also burns more calories, increases endurance, and more.
- Sleep, Sleep, and Sleep More- In my 20’s I could easily ditch sleep to workout, work longer hours, or spend time out with friends. Today? Sleep is a top priority for me and for good reason. Adequate sleep is necessary to perform optimally, detoxify, and more.
Growing up, I had always dreaded turning 30. But I have to say, it’s been the best decade of my life (so far). With these simple changes to my wellness routine, I’m thriving and living my best life. What’s one change you’ve made in your 30’s?