Turkey and quinoa stuffed peppers are one of my favorite recipes to make! I don’t make them as often as I should! They’re the perfect family dinner to have year round! They can also be meal prepped to have throughout the week for lunch or dinner!
This recipe reminds me of my mama. Although our versions are slightly different, I used to always call or text her to ask her how long to cook the peppers for. Last time I asked her, she told me to “google it.” Haha, thanks Mom!
Tips for making stuffed peppers:
- *Prepare the quinoa ahead of time according to the instructions on the package.
- *You can also prepare the ground turkey ahead of time. Reheat the turkey on the stovetop prior to adding the stuffing ingredients like the recipe calls for.
- *Boil the peppers before stuffing them. Boiling them first makes the peppers softer when you cut into them to eat after they come out of the oven.
- *After stuffing the peppers for this meal, there’s always extra stuffing mix leftover, unless you decide to make more peppers. I usually save the mixture to have on top of a bed of spinach during the week or enjoy it as a dip with some chips, salsa, and avocado.
To make stuffed peppers, the first step is boiling the peppers. Cut off the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds. Bring a large pot of water to boil then cook the peppers in the boiling water for 10 minutes. Then drain and set the peppers aside when they’re done boiling.
While the peppers are boiling, prepare the pepper filling. Add olive oil or non-stick cooking spray to a large skillet and sauté ground turkey until lightly browned over medium heat. Then add in the diced onions, tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add in cooked quinoa and spices, and stir until they’re well combined. Cook for another minute.
Once the pepper filling is ready, fill the peppers will the mixture. If desired, sprinkle each pepper with shredded mozzarella. I usually cook some of the peppers with mozzarella and some without, depending on who I’m making the peppers for. Next, wrap each pepper in aluminium foil and place them in a baking dish. Cook the peppers for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil very carefully (they’re hot). Top each pepper with salsa and avocado!
If you give my turkey and quinoa stuffed peppers a try, be sure to tag me on Instagram @becksliveshealthy Enjoy!!
Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (red, yellow, and orange)
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup medium white onion
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can corn drained
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- nonstick cooking spray or olive oil
- avocado mashed or sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds. Cook peppers in boiling water for 10 minutes; drain. Set aside.
- Spray large skillet with non stick cooking spray or olive oil and sauté’ ground turkey until lightly browned over medium heat.
- Add in tomatoes, onions, black beans, and corn. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add in quinoa and spices; stir until well combined. Cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat and fill the peppers with mixture. Top each pepper with a sprinkle of mozzarella.
- Wrap peppers completely in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish.
- Place dish in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven. Remove aluminum foil (carefully, they’re hot!!)
- Top each pepper with salsa, avocado slices, and hot sauce. Enjoy!
These healthy and delicious turkey and quinoa stuffed peppers are the perfect recipe for the whole family to enjoy! They can also be meal prepped for the busy work week! Enjoy!