I RUN FOR ACAI…. my favorite motto!
Acai bowls will always be my favorite post long run meal! They’re the perfect way to cool off after a sweaty workout or long day in the sun!
When I moved to California in 2014 I had never had an acai bowl. They weren’t popular on the east coast at the time and it was usually too cold to even have one! When I moved to Hermosa Beach I stumbled upon Paradise Bowls. I found myself going there multiple times a week. I loved their bowls but decided it was time to try and make my own.
I love making my own acai bowls at home because I can add whatever ingredients I want. My favorite combo includes: frozen acai blended with frozen banana, frozen berries, vanilla protein powder, peanut butter, and almond milk!
The key to making a thick acai bowl is using all frozen fruit instead of fresh fruit. I never measure the amount of milk I use either. I usually start with 1/4 cup and start blending. Then I add more milk until I reach the desired thickness.
I usually add vanilla protein powder to my acai bowls as well to help with muscle recovery after my long runs or workouts. Vanilla protein adds a nice touch of sweetness and flavor to the acai bowl I usually use vanilla PEScience Select Protein or Vanilla Bean Orgain Protein.
This recipe can easily be switched up and made into a peanut butter pitaya bowl instead! All you have to do is sub a frozen pitaya for the frozen acai pack! Both are found at Whole Foods or frozen section of the grocery store! I hope you enjoy this bowl as much as I do– I swear it makes me run home SO much faster!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram @becksliveshealthy. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Acai Bowl
- 1 packet (100g) frozen unsweetened acai
- ½ frozen peeled banana
- ½ cup frozen strawberries or blueberries
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Enough almond milk to blend
- Coconut chips
- Cacao nibs
- Chia seeds
- Peanut butter
- Run frozen acai packet under warm water for 10 seconds. Open up the pack and break the frozen acai in chunks, and add to high speed blender.
- Combine remaining ingredients into blender. Start with very little milk (about ¼ cup and then slowly add more after blending to reach a thicker, smooth consistency).
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
This peanut butter acai smoothie bowl is the perfect way to cool off after a sweaty workout or long day in the sun! It's packed with protein, carbs, and healthy fats to make the perfect breakfast or post- workout meal. Enjoy!