You know what they say: you are what you eat. If your goal is to start eating healthier, it all starts at the grocery store. Although it might sound simple, it can be easier said than done. When your favorite treats are in the house, you’re much more likely to give into your cravings. So, the key is to set yourself up for success- starting with your weekly trip to the grocery store.
Grocery Shopping Tips
Grocery shopping has the power to make or break your goal of eating healthier. By using these shopping tips and tricks, you’ll learn how to shop healthy and quickly be on your way to a healthier, more nourished you!
- Don’t Grocery Shop Hungry- Tip #1: do NOT go to the grocery store when your stomach is growling. This is a recipe for a grocery disaster. When you’re hungry, you’re more likely to think with your stomach- not your brain- which will likely leave you with a cart full of sweets, treats, and unhealthy snacks. Avoid hungry grocery shopping at all costs!
- Stick to the Outer Perimeters- The perimeter of the grocery store is typically where the fresh, whole foods are located. For example, if you walk the perimeter of the store, you’ll find: produce, meat and seafood, dairy, supplements, to-go meals, and other fresh, healthier options. On the other hand, the middle aisles of the stores can be dangerous- filled with row after row of candy, popcorn, chips, cookies, and other unhealthy, processed options.
- Plan Your Meals Ahead Of Time- When you plan ahead of time, you can create your grocery list before stepping foot in the store (more on this in a minute). Fail to plan and fail to plan. It’s a good idea to plan your breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks for the week, so you know what to shop for.
- Write Down Your Grocery List- Knowing exactly what you’re shopping for is essential to buying healthy foods and products. When you don’t deviate from your list, you’re much less likely to buy the unhealthy snacks and treats that you’ve been trying so hard to avoid.
- Shop After You Workout- After a workout, your motivation is probably at it’s highest. Meaning, you’re less likely to go rogue down the middle aisles. But, remember: don’t shop hungry! Drink a protein shake or eat a snack post-workout to prevent hungry shopping.
- Create a Rainbow Cart- A rainbow cart leads to a rainbow diet. And no, I don’t mean Lucky Charms or Fruit Loops! Aim to eat a variety of colors from whole, natural foods (think: produce), like carrots, broccoli, strawberries, oranges, cauliflower, bell pepper, and more! The naturally occurring colors in these foods provide your body with various, but specific vitamins and minerals.
- Frozen Food Over Canned Food- When fresh produce is not in season, opt for frozen over canned options. More nutrients are preserved in frozen fruits and veggies, as opposed to canned. And honestly, they taste better. But, remember: this tip applies to frozen produce, not frozen dinner trays or pizzas!
- Don’t Go at Rush Hour- There’s nothing worse than grocery hopping during the busy hours. In my experience, the busiest times are often Sunday afternoons/evenings and weekdays after 5pm. Alternatively, try shopping on Saturday mornings or Friday evenings, when the crowds are absent. More importantly, a quiet grocery store equals well-stocked shelves!
A Healthy Grocery Shopping List
To further aid in your healthy grocery shopping efforts, be sure to add these nourishing and delicious grocery staples to your list:
- Protein: grass-fed or pasture-raised meats, pastured eggs, wild caught fish and seafood
- Produce: your favorite seasonal fruits and veggies (brussel sprouts, cucumber, asparagus, spinach, apples, berries, avocado, melon, peaches, tomatoes, broccoli)
- Pantry: almonds, raw honey, cinnamon, dark chocolate, organic rice, or quinoa
- Fridge/Freezer: grass-fed milk or nut milk, coconut milk, frozen veggies, and fruit
For my Ultimate FREE Grocery Shopping List, click here!!
With these healthy shopping tips and tricks in mind, you’ll have great success during your next grocery store run. Remember, eating healthy all starts at the grocery store!