In a world full of self criticism and low self esteem, let’s make 2022 the year to love ourselves well. Practicing self love is really a learned skill. It doesn’t come naturally for most, and it can sometimes feel awkward. But, as with everything, the more you practice, the better you get. These are the best tips for practicing self love in the New Year!
The Importance of Self Love
According to PsychCentral, self love means to “accept yourself fully, treat yourself with kindness and respect, and nurture your growth and wellbeing.” In other words, self love is necessary to become the best version of yourself. Self love supports our ability to thrive and grow.
Undeniably, self love is important for our mental and physical health. When we practice self love regularly, our confidence increases and we begin to have a positive view of ourselves. Naturally, motivation grows to nourish our minds and bodies, as does our desire to love others well.
As someone who can be my own worst critic, practicing self love regularly has been a game-changer. I now view myself as strong and capable. And, you can, too!
How to Love Yourself More in the New Year
Practicing self love is a wonderful goal for the New Year. Here are practical ways to encourage self love in your life:
- Forgive Yourself. You are human just like everyone else. Just as you would extend grace and forgiveness to your best friend, do it for yourself.
- Treat Yourself as You Do Others. You know the golden rule? Treat others as you want to be treated. Well, the same goes for yourself!
- Say “No” and Mean it. Learn to say “no” and stick to it. Better yet, know your boundaries and don’t be afraid to exercise them.
- Pay Attention to What You Consume. Do you know what you’re consuming on a daily basis? Think: TV shows, social media, podcasts, etc. Are these things/people life-giving and encouraging or draining and negative?
- Keep Promises to Yourself. When you tell yourself you’re going to do something, just do it. No if’s, and’s, or but’s. Follow through with your promises.
- Make Sleep a Priority. Sleep can do wonders for the mind and body. It’s arguably the best thing you can do for your overall health! Not only does it rest and restore your mind, but it also aids in detoxification and memory solidification.
- Do Activities that You Actually Enjoy. We all know exercise is a healthy habit to practice. However, it’s that much more beneficial when you actually enjoy it. So, find a physical activity that you enjoy and do it often!
Self love is certainly a practice to be learned. As you can see, it’s one of the best ways to improve your overall health and quality of life. So, will you join me in the New Year? Let’s make 2022 the year we learned to love ourselves!