I know exactly how it goes: the New Year rolls around after taking some time off your normal routine and it seems almost impossible to get back to it. After spending months on-the-go, eating excess sugar, and working out less, your healthy routine seems so far off. I’ve been there! However, it is possible to get back into your healthy routine with just a few simple steps.
What is a Healthy Routine?
A healthy routine can be categorized as any system or pattern that supports and promotes a healthy body. Since we are all such unique individuals, this often looks different for everyone.
To get you started, consider these questions:
- Which habits improve your health? And which hinder your health?
- What healthy routine has worked for you in the past? What hasn’t worked?
- What are your biggest barriers to living a healthy lifestyle?
- Do you have a support system or people in your life to encourage your healthy routine?
How To Get Back Into A Healthy Routine
As someone who’s struggled to get back into a healthy routine after the holiday season, I know how you feel. It can feel defeated and impossible. However, I’ve nailed down a simple, yet strategic list to help successfully get you back on track and into your healthy routine:
- Hydrate– Hydrating properly is probably the most important step to supporting a healthy body. When we’re dehydrated, every bodily function is affected: digestion, immunity, sleep, energy, and more. The key to staying well hydrated is sipping on water throughout the day. Aim to consume at least half your body weight (pounds) in ounces of water, daily. Bonus: add some electrolytes or minerals to your drinking water for better absorption.
- Grocery Shopping- Schedule a weekly grocery shopping trip after compiling a grocery list. Stick to the list. If you prefer online shopping, opt for Amazon Fresh or another grocery delivery service. Then, use your fresh groceries to prepare meals and snacks for the week to come. I prefer to grocery shop Fridays or Saturdays and meal prep on Sunday.
- To Bed Early and Up Early- You know what they say: the early bird gets the worm. Our bodies were designed to function with the sun. In other words, it’s best to follow the sun’s sleep schedule. In most areas of the country, this means going to bed early and waking early. In addition, getting up early gives you a jumpstart to your day!
- Daily Movement– Daily movement is important for a healthy mind and body. This will look different every day. Some days might include intense activity, while others can be more focused on leisurely walks. It’s important to note: I don’t recommend going all out 6-7 days per week. Instead, start slow and learn what works best for your body.
- Find Workouts You Love- If you enjoy your workouts, you’re much more likely to stay consistent with them. Your workouts don’t have to be stereotypical, unless that’s what you enjoy. Try new things, like: kickboxing, Zumba, swimming, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc, until you find what you love.
- Give Yourself Grace- Grace is the key to success. No one is perfect, so it’s essential to learn to extend yourself grace when you need it, as we all know how unpredictable life can be sometimes.
Getting back into your healthy routine might seem like a challenge, but it truly is possible. Coming from someone who’s been in your shoes, I’ve used this list to get back into the swing of things. Now, you can too!